August 02, 2016

Tarot Blog Hop @ Willows East


Alrighty, folks! Are you feeling sociable? Want to meet some new bloggers? Want to get a slice of me served up all hot and buttery? You're in the right place! This blog hop is hosted by the kind folks at Willows East. Click that link and show them some love!

So, what've we got here...

First question, What brought me to Tarot? Believe it or not, but a friend gave me my first Tarot deck as a birthday present. In a way, this is really meaningful because I can honestly claim that I didn't buy my first Tarot deck - it was gifted to me by a friend who sparked my thus-far-life-long interest in Tarot. But, in a way, it's also hilarious because the guy who gifted me this deck has himself zero interest in the Tarot and doesn't read Tarot at all or care much for getting readings. Funny how that worked out, huh? All jokes about my Tarot lineage aside, it was a cool birthday present and it came to me at the right time when I was a young teenager looking for something edgy and weird. Huzzah for teenage rebellion! How much different would things have turned out if he gave me a Ghost album? Or some other subversive thing? Really makes me wonder just how much of my life is my own choice, and how much is just the by-product of environmental influences. All of a sudden, I don't feel like I have free agency...

Where was I? Second question: What's my favorite deck? Generally speaking, my favorite deck is nearly any Marseilles style deck - only the trumps and face cards are illustrated, with the pip cards featuring geometric designs or patterns. I'm a rather analytical reader, so I prefer to go by just suit and number. My preferred deck right now is the Tarot of the Loka, but I did just get a copy of the Dark Tarot and am looking forward to making an unboxing video and doing some readings with it! Of course, I've also got my own Tarot deck in the works, but that's a story for another day. Tarot of the Loka is my preferred deck right now because every card has its value and color-coordinated suit in the upper left-hand corner just like a regular playing card. This means that I can very quickly see every card that's on the table and know in a matter of moments everything that's happening in the spread. I try to see each spread of cards as a whole - what's connected where? Does this pull on that? What happens if I remove this? And so on. For me, that's easier with Tarot cards that quickly show the suit and value, and I spend no time dwelling on the illustrations.

Onward to the third question: Explain the purpose of your blog! If you're reading this, then you're visiting my blog which sits at the intersection of Tarot and Satanism. It's an odd place, and to be honest I'm not sure how many other Satanists read Tarot and blog about it. If you meet any, let me know - I'm always interested in networking and meeting like minds. I started this blog because I'm a musician. My preferred instrument is a devil trombone, but all the sheet music I can find was written for angel trumpets. Whatever am I to do? The answer, of course, is to write new sheet music. This blog is my place where I talk about how I've applied Satanic philosophy to the Tarot and re-interpreted the Tarot with a third-side perspective. If you've got an ear for music, you're welcome to look around - there are a few choice albums you can pull up for your listening pleasure.

And I suppose that leads straight into the fourth question, What makes my approach to the Tarot unique? The long answer will have to wait for the book I'm writing to hurry up and get finished, but the short answer is that I've re-interpreted the numerology of the pips to follow the 9 Satanic Statements of the Satanic Bible, and have replaced the archetypal Fool's journey with a spectrum that swings from chaos and disorder into harmony and discipline. This application of the 9 Satanic Statements to the pips cast against the rhythm of the trumps is - as much as I know - completely unique to the world of Tarot. It's occasionally lonely knowing that there isn't another person anywhere with whom I can talk about my interpretation of the Tarot, but at the same time it's deeply liberating and satisfying. I wouldn't have it any other way.

As for the fifth question, "Ask your deck, higher self, or guide, what it would like to share with visitors." I honestly don't mean to be a grump, but I believe neither that my deck is capable of desiring anything, nor that my higher self or any kind of guide exists. My Tarot deck is an inanimate object, and there is only me. I know, it's so disappointing - I'm sure you were hoping to meet somebody else, but just like Popeye, "I am what I am and that's all that I am." A random shuffle of the deck, and out comes the Queen of Clubs. Er, sorry... Queen of Wands. Yes, Wands. What has she to say?
I set my feet in the south, and look at what lays before me. I care not for promises, because it is my prerogative to renege if the person to whom I made the promise proves to be unworthy of my generosity or incapable of protecting my interests. My vision is far, and I always look out for myself. After all, who else cares as much about me, as me? Nobody, that's who. I've lived long and gained what I have because I've learned from my experiences and have become accustomed to seeing the ways the world warps and wends. I'm not a gambler, but I'm well versed in risk - do you really think you can beat my odds? Step right up and try your hand, but I assure you that I've already seen how this game ends.